Monday, December 31, 2012

Zesty Brussel Sprouts


Even though I usually try to find a way to work vegetables into the main dish, if I am lacking, my mother trained me well to make sure I always have a vegetable on my plate in some form.  She also trained me to make my dishes with three things on the plate.  I always feel amiss when I don't follow that rule, but when I'm the only one eating at night it's harder to make more food and know it won't go to waste.  One day my family will be subjected to the same strange habit I was as a kid.  But for now I will remain my mother's partner in crime to try to get my dad to eat more vegetables, and find new recipes we enjoy in the process.

Brussel sprouts aren't most people's favorite vegetable (one of those people being my dad), but they are packed full of health benefits.  Vitamin K, Vitamin C and cancer fighting powers to name a few.  Apparently when they are steamed they also are a great way to lower cholesterol.  To help these health crusaders pass your lips with less fuss, I bring you a recipe my mom brought to the Christmas Eve table at my parents' house this year:

Zesty Brussel Sprouts

Servings: about 6

Ingredients:

1 lb of Brussel Sprouts, stems removed
2 Tbsp of Orange Juice
1 Tbsp of Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1/4 cup of Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1/4 tsp of Salt
1/4 tsp of Pepper
1 clove of Garlic, minced
1/4 cup of sliced Almonds, toasted (optional)

Directions:

Slice the brussel sprouts thinly and toss with orange juice and vinegar.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add brussel sprouts and saute until tender - about 2 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients except for the almonds.  Cook for 2 more minutes.
Garnish with almonds and serve.







No comments:

Post a Comment