Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sweet Potato Gnocchi


My roommates look at me with disgust most nights because of the types of foods I like to cook with.  I tell them it's just too hard not to cook with all the things they don't like.  They aren't that picky, I just love the veggies that they seem to hate, like sweet potatoes.  Oh well.  More for me.

This has got to be one of my all time favorite dishes.  I mean, I knew I liked sweet potatoes, but I never knew I could like them this much.  I make a full batch of these and eat them all week long.  I even get a bit sad when I reach the bottom of the batch because I never seem to get sick of them.

I make this recipe maybe every other month because I like it so much, but not enough that I want to spend all the time necessary to make the full batch.  Warning: This is a bit time intensive.  With that being said, it's probably only an hour, but it's a constant hour of preparing, not one of those let it sit for an hour while I watch tv kind of preparation recipes.

The gnocchi themselves are packed full of cheesy goodness, but I love to top them with Alfredo sauce and thyme because you can never have too much dairy.  I mean maybe if you are attempting that whole chug a gallon of milk challenge, but that's a different story.  You can top this gnocchi with really any kind of your favorite sauce and it will be good, but it does go best with a creamy type.

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

Servings: 4

Ingredients:

2 large Sweet Potatoes
3/4 cup of Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Tbsp of packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp of Salt
1/4 tsp of Nutmeg
2 cups of Flour, plus more for dusting

Directions:

Microwave sweet potatoes until soft.  About 6 minutes on each side.

Remove the flesh and mash.  Combine with cheeses, brown sugar, salt and nutmeg and beat until combined.

Next, add the flour, about a 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough begins to form.

Turn dough out onto floured surface and divide into four parts.

Roll each part into 1-inch thick ropes.  Cut the rope into 1-inch pieces and boil the gnocchi for about 4-5 minutes or until they all begin to float.

Top with sauce and spices and enjoy.



My version of a holiday treat.






No comments:

Post a Comment