Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Flank Steak Salad with Zesty Vinaigrette


Most people start exercising after January 1st because of New Year's resolutions.  I apparently start right before the holidays and will probably stop once January 1st rolls around.  I like to be healthy, and who doesn't wish they had a six pack, but I just do not enjoy exercising.  I'll take classes like Zumba and Hip Hop because they are fun and I don't realize I'm exercising, but if you ask me to run, I will whine like a four year old.  I need something to distract me from the voice in my head saying "This isn't fun. I'm tired.  This is too hard.  When are we done?  Wouldn't you rather be vegging out on the couch with a tub of ice cream?"

Every once in a while though, I get motivated for like two weeks to start exercising again and to try to be healthy.  That is until I get home late one night and all I want is In n Out, then it's a slippery slope.  Right now I'm in work-out and eat healthy mode, which is great right before I go home for two weeks over the holidays and lay around on my parents' couch for 8 hours a day because that's all I want to do. Maybe I'll get some running in if I get chased by one of Texas' wild hogs or the mountain lions that roam our neighborhood.  Maybe my company will make a show about extreme exercise situations then.  Dibs not being the actual host of that one.

Anyway.  Since I'm exercising, my mind gravitates towards foods that are better for you, like salad.  I know, not the most exciting thing, but trust me, this one is a good post-work-out meal and the dressing will just make you feel good because it's zesty and flavorful, which means less is needed, so less calories, which means you don't completely ruin your work-out.   We all win.

I really wanted to add mushrooms to this salad, but alas, my mushrooms always go bad before I use them.  So I threw in the less healthy, but great tasting Tomato Basil Feta Cheese.  Who am I kidding?  That was going to go in anyway.  I just can't do a salad without cheese.

The dressing will go well on anything lighter tasting, so experiment with your favorite veggies.  I'd stay away from earthy flavors like beans and squash, but even those could work if that's what you like.


Flank Steak Salad with Zesty Vinaigrette

Servings: 2

Ingredients:



2 Tbsp of Dijon or Stone Ground Mustard
Just over 1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
Black Pepper
Baby Spinach
Onion slices
White Cap Mushrooms
Feta or Goat Cheese
1/2 lb of Flank Steak
Spices to season steak (I used cumin, salt and pepper)

Directions:


Season your steak.  Cook the steak in a pan on medium heat.  My secret to adding flavor to steak is to throw in a little bit of Sherry Cooking Wine while cooking.  I also do this whenever I cook mushrooms or spinach, it really amps up the flavor without overpowering it.  Cook steak to desired doneness, but don't over cook or else it will be tough.


In a bowl, combine mustard, lemon juice, parsly and pepper.  Whisk in the olive oil.

Cut up steak and veggies and top the spinach with meat, veggies and cheese.  Drizzle on dressing.

I had a side of homemade Black Bean Chips and Yogurt Dip with this, but that post will be up later this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment