Monday, December 10, 2012

Apple and Cheese Crepes


I was always weary of crepes because I was told they were hard to make.  I remember my mom always having trouble burning pancakes while I was growing up; these things were bound to be a hassle.  Or so I thought.  Crepes couldn't be easier to make.  I'm not sure if I'll ever make pancakes again after making these babies.

Don't ask me how I came up with this idea of apples and cheese in a crepe because literally I think I was just sitting in bed dreaming about food as usual and it just snuck right in there.  My original idea was apples and ricotta, but when I pulled my ricotta out of the fridge it smelled oddly sweet, which made me a bit hesitant to use it.  Instead I grabbed my cream cheese I was saving for a different apple creation.  The world was looking out for me that morning because when I made them again with ricotta they were good, but not quite as good.  The cream cheese has a sweetness that works well with the apples.

The photo you see above is the ricotta version that I topped with peanut butter to add that flavor that was missing.  Caramel or peanut butter would go well with either version, but the cream cheese one doesn't really need it.  What's great about crepes is you can really add whatever you like and it will probably taste good.

Apple and Cheese Crepes

Servings: 2-4

Ingredients:

    For crepes:
        1 cup of Flour
        2 Eggs
        1/2 cup of Milk
        1/2 cup of Water
        1/4 tsp of Salt
        2 Tbsp of Butter, melted

    Filling:
        1 medium Apple or 2 small (I used Green Dragon Apples because they are my favorite)
        1/2 Tbsp of Cinnamon
        1/2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
        Dash of Lemon Juice
        4 Tbsp of Cream Cheese (approx.)
        1/4 cup of Walnuts
        Cooking Spray

Directions:

Heat two skillets over medium heat.

Combine the flour and eggs, whisking together.  Slowly whisk in the milk, water, salt and butter.

Coat one skillet with cooking spray and pour in just enough batter to lightly coat the bottom.  Tip pan to spread out the batter.  Once it reaches the sides let cook for about 15-20 seconds or until the liquid is no longer able to run.  Flip over and cook for another 20 seconds.  Remove from heat and keep warm.  Continue this until all of the batter is used.  It makes about eight crepes, but I usually only have enough filling for six.  If I happen to have self restraint that night I save the extra, otherwise I eat them as I cook.

Meanwhile, slice the apples thinly and cook in skillet.  Top with lemon juice, cinnamon, brown sugar and walnuts.  To crisp the apples a bit add a little bit of butter, but I like mine soft.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes.  Until they are soft but not mushy.

Top the crepes with a dollop of cream cheese and a few slices of the apples and walnuts.  Roll and serve.

If you like a bit more sweetness, drizzle carmel or peanut butter on top.





No comments:

Post a Comment