Monday, December 24, 2012

Creole Tilapia with Garlic Infused Alfredo


Along with my typical meats that stock my freezer for those times I don't feel like planning ahead, I also usually have some sort of fish.  I try to be healthy and work fish into my diet more, but I'm also on a budget being a recent college grad in LA, so frozen is the way to go, as well as on sale.  It makes its appearance every so often.

This time it was tilapia.  And to my surprise, when I opened the bag, each fillet was individually wrapped and not stuck in a huge frozen blob I had to chisel apart.  Hey, it's the little things in life.

Now, one of my favorite things to pair with tilapia is a mango salsa, but with the warning of salmonella in mangos right now, I was forced to go a different route.  I just googled "tilapia recipes" and found one that piqued my strong desire to visit New Orleans.  Up until now I've just had to settle for my classes about Voodoo and the one restaurant in Downtown Disney I ate at... once.  Baby steps here.

With some minor adjustments to the recipe to accommodate what I had in my kitchen, I give you:


Creole Tilapia with Garlic Infused Alfredo

Servings: 1 (because it's easier to double or triple than halve or third)

Ingredients:

1 Tblsp (approx) of butter or margarine
1 small to medium clove of garlic, minced
Creole seasoning or Old Bay
1/2 cup of Alfredo Sauce
1 Tilapia filet (frozen or thawed)


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Cover a cookie sheet in tinfoil and set tilapia on foil (makes for easier clean up).  Season tilapia with creole seasoning.  Remember it's spicy, so don't put too much on because you will add it to the sauce as well.  Bake Tilapia for about 10 minutes or until it is no longer translucent and flakes easily with a fork.

Meanwhile, melt the butter on low to medium-low heat.  My stove is temperamental, so I ended up browning it, but it worked out anyway.  Throw in the minced garlic and let it cook on low until the garlic softens and is aromatic.  Pour in the Alfredo sauce and keep warm.  Add in some creole seasoning to taste.

This dish goes well over pasta, so while the fish is cooking, boil some water for the pasta if you so choose.

When the fish is done pull it out and top with your sauce and you are ready to go.

One of the most flavorful and simplest dinners I've ever prepared.




No comments:

Post a Comment