Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Donkey Tails and Elephant Ears


So I guess I have to do an extra post this week in honor of the election tonight.  I avoid sharing my support for either side as much as I can, but if you are strategic enough, you can get me talking about the issues and figure it out pretty easily.

But tonight, no matter who wins, I can't pass up an opportunity to cook something special.  Even though I think the two party system has run it's course and we should start embracing third parties more, I can't deny that the two people truly in this race tonight are from the Republican and Democrat parties. Because of this fact, I decided to honor both sides of the spectrum and make a dinner of Donkey Tails and Elephant Ears for dessert.  Tonight I get the help of my roommate because I enticed him with fried food.

Warning: This meal is far from healthy, but if your candidate loses, I'm sure some dramatic people (like myself) will like the indulgence.

Donkey Tails and Elephant Ears (Election Night Meal)

Donkey Tails:

Ingredients:

6 Hot Dogs
6 Flour Tortillas
Shredded Cheese or cheese sauce
Chopped Onions
Jalapeños
Olive Oil
Chili (recipe below)
       1/2 of pound ground beef
       1/2 of a white onion
       7 oz of diced tomatoes w/ juice
       7 oz of tomato sauce
       7 oz of Kidney beans
       3/4 cup of water
       1 tsp of chili powder
       1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
       1/2 tsp of cumin
       1 clove of garlic
       salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef over medium heat along with the onions.  Sauté until browned and drain the excess fat.

Next, add the rest of the ingredients for the chili.  Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low.  Cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. 

Once the chili is finished, heat the hot dogs for about 20 seconds in the microwave.  Then wrap the hot dogs in the tortillas and secure with toothpicks.  Heat oil in pan and brown the tortilla/hot dog.  Cover with cheese, onions, jalapeños, and chili.


Elephant Ears:

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of milk
3 Tbsp. of butter
1 package of dry yeast
1 Tbsp. of sugar
1/2 tsp. of salt
2 cups of flour
Oil for frying (I used vegetable oil)
Cinnamon and Sugar for topping.

Directions:

Combine the milk, sugar, salt and butter.  Heat over medium until butter is melted, but do not boil.  Let cool to lukewarm.  Add yeast and stir until dissolved.  Stir in the flour.

Put the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp paper towel and let rise for about 30 minutes.

Pinch off pieces of dough, about walnut size.  Stretch each piece into a thin circle about six inches in diameter.

Fry each circle in oil for about 10-15 seconds.  Turn over and repeat until light brown.  

Drain on a paper towel and top with cinnamon and sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment