Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Soyaki Stir-Fry


The holiday pampering my mother did for me has lowered my desire to cook for myself.  Returning briefly to childhood was much nicer than expected.  Don't get me wrong though, I love my life in LA, now if only I could live the movie star lifestyle with private chefs and maids and all that jazz it'd be perfect.  Well... actually... probably not, but it's nice to dream.

Anyway,  when I'm not eating Hot Pockets on my way out the door to the million and one things I've been doing this past week or so, I have been looking for quick fixes to my hunger problem.

This little dish is a healthy version of a college kid's meal.  It's great when you want something tasty and quick that's not terrible for you.  Sorry, pizza, you meet the first two requirements, but you are not a vegetable no matter how much the government tries to tell me you are.

I came up with this dish in the days beginning my LA struggle, and therefore needed to not let vegetables go bad, but also needed to find a way to make them stretch across multiple meal times because a trip to the grocery store only happened once every three weeks.  It still doesn't happen too often, but my fridge looks much healthier than it did back then.

The Trader Joe's Island Soyaki is a little bottle of heaven if you like americanized chinese food that's a little different than the same old soy sauce.  It's great as a sauce like this dish, but even better as a simple marinade for fish or chicken for another quick meal option.

Soyaki Stir-Fry

Servings: 2-3 Servings

Ingredients:

2 packages of Ramen Noodles (you can also substitute brown rice)
1-2 Chicken Breasts, cubed
1 Yellow Squash, chopped
1 Zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup of Mushrooms
3-4 Tbsp of Trader Joe's Island Soyaki

Directions:

Remove seasoning packet from ramen noodles.  Boil a pot of water and cook noodles until al dente.  (If using rice cook all the way through)

In the mean time, cook the chicken thoroughly.  In a separate pan, cook the vegetables until tender.  Turn off heat and add chicken and Soyaki to vegetables.  Mix well.

Stir in noodles and sauté on low for a minute or two.  You may want to add a bit more soyaki, just remember it is full of sodium, so use as little as possible to get the taste you want.



No comments:

Post a Comment