Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Twice Baked Garlic Sweet Potatoes

So I'm still not 100% sure what the difference between sweet potatoes and yams are, but from what I have gathered, sweet potatoes are more common than yams in stores and they vary in color and sugar content.  Either way, these bright spuds are packed with Vitamins A, C and B6.

I could eat sweet potatoes in any form, with butter and brown sugar, as fries, as gnocchi, you name it I'll probably love it, as you will probably gather from my other recipes on here.  This variation though is a throwback to school lunches for me with an adult twist.

School lunches, now that I look back on them, were generally pretty lackluster, but I still found a way to be jazzed about the cuisine most days...  I still need to figure out chicken turnovers... I remember loving twice baked cheesy potatoes.  I haven't had one in years and I figured it was time to bring them back, but with a healthier twist.  You're welcome Mr. Bloomberg.

Twice Baked Garlic Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

2 medium Sweet Potatoes
2-3 cloves of Garlic, minced
1/4 cup of Sour Cream or Milk
1 Tbsp of Butter
Olive Oil
Green Onions (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Bake the potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour or until soft.  You can also pop them in the microwave for about 10 minutes, just make sure to poke holes in them with a fork so they don't explode.

Once cooked, slice through horizontally about 1/3 of the way down the potato.  Scoop out the insides into a bowl leaving some flesh in the skin to provide a sturdier base.

Combine insides with garlic, butter and sour cream and mash together.

Rub olive oil on the outside of the skin to help it crisp.  At this point I would put the empty skins upside down in the broiler for five minutes, but this isn't necessary.

Spoon the filling back into the skin and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

To get them a bit crispier, put them back in the broiler for five minutes.

Top with green onions, salt and pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment