Sunday, November 25, 2012

Mom's Traditional Stuffing - Stuffing Challenge Winner


This was my first Thanksgiving that I hosted and I was in charge of the turkey, stuffing and vegetables. I couldn't decide which stuffing I wanted to make because I missed my mom's stuffing last year, but also ended up having my favorite part of the meal be the Apple, Sausage and Walnut Stuffing we had.  Since I just recently started liking stuffing, I didn't want to miss out on either.  So since this year I was in charge of it I decided that I didn't have to decide.  Instead I made a half size amount of both and decided to have a stuffing-off.

Mom's Traditional Stuffing was easily the crowd's favorite.  It also quickly became the first of the leftovers to vanish.  Can't break tradition in this apartment I guess.  That is why it gets the coveted "Stuffing Challenge Winner" spot on the blog, but don't miss the runner up's recipe on the next page.

The amount below is the full size amount, but it can easily be cut in half.

Mom's Traditional Stuffing

Serving Size: 10-12 Servings

Ingredients:

24oz of Day Old Bread

2 cups of chopped Onions
2 cups of chopped Celery
2 Tbsp of Butter
1 large grated Carrot
3 Tbsp of Poultry Seasoning
Thyme, Marjoram and Rosemary to taste (optional because the poultry seasoning contains this)
Turkey Gizzard finely chopped
2 cups Chicken Broth or Giblet Stock (directions below)




Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Parsley

Directions:


Tear the bread into 1 inch pieces and let sit over night if you can.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter in a skillet on medium-high heat and saute onion and celery until tender, about 5 minutes.  Pour over bread in a large baking dish.  Add grated carrot, gizzard, parsley and spices to taste.

Slowly pour in chicken broth or giblet stock and allow bread to absorb the liquid.  Mix everything together with your hands.  Keep adding broth or stock until the bread is fully saturated, but not dripping.

Cover with tinfoil and bake for about 1 hour or until the stuffing reaches 165 degrees.  In the last 5-10 minutes, uncover and allow the top to brown.


GIBLET STOCK RECIPE

4 cups of Chicken Broth
1 rib of Celery
1/2 of a Carrot
1/2 of a Yellow Onion
1 Bay Leaf
Chicken Heart, Liver and Neck

Directions:

Simmer all of the ingredients together in a covered pan for about 2 hours.  Separate liquid and add to stuffing.





No comments:

Post a Comment