Friday, May 24, 2013

Spicy Coconut Milk Chicken


This dish was inspired by my friend's roommate who made a similar dish for us one night.  Her family is Indian, and I find myself being more and more surrounded by Indian cuisine recently.  I've been adventuring slowly into this realm.  I love the Indian food I've had in the past (meaning the two times I've eaten it) but I admit that I'm a little intimidated by the blend of spices and multiple flavors each dish packs.

This dish was my metaphorical toe in the water of Indian cuisine.  It isn't completely culturally accurate, but for a basic weeknight dinner it will delight your taste buds.

As a bonus, this dish is dairy free because it utilizes coconut milk.  And even though you are probably thinking the same thing I thought - when will I ever use up the rest of the coconut milk? - trust me it is more versatile than you think.  Substitute it for milk in baked dishes like pancakes and it will add an extra touch of sweetness that you won't be sorry about.  Also, check back soon for the recipe for my Mumbai Fish Fry, that will give you one more option.  It's definitely a worthwhile investment to switch things up if you want to go dairy free or just add to your arsenal of flavors.

Spicy Coconut Chicken

Ingredients:

1 lb of Chicken
1 Tbsp of butter
1 Leek, chopped
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1/4 cup of Onions
1 Tbsp of grated Ginger
2 tsp of Thai Chili Paste
1/2 Tbsp of Curry Powder
Pinch of Cinnamon
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup of Coconut Milk
1 tsp of Lemon Juice
3 Tbsp of chopped fresh Cilantro

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Heat butter in pan.  Saute leek, garlic, onions and ginger until soft.  About 10 minutes.

Coat chicken in Thai chili paste, curry powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper.

Put chicken and vegetables in a glass pan.  Pour in the coconut milk, lemon juice and top with cilantro.

Bake until cooked through.  About 20 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment