Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Herb-Crusted Pork Loin and Roasted Apples










Growing up I remember always dreading the nights that my dad got to choose what we ate for dinner because I always knew exactly what he was going to say.  Pork chops and apple sauce.  And he always said it like he was a 1920's gangster.  I'd give my mom this pleading look in hopes she wouldn't listen to him, but I guess when you're married for over 20 years you have to listen to your spouse once in while.

She would try to make the pork chops interesting with bbq sauce because she was as unexcited about pork chops as I was and still am, but my dad is a purist and doesn't like messing with what he knows he likes.  He will only ever eat vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.  Not an adventurous eater that one.  So every once in a while my mom and I endured a boring dinner just to please my dad.

Ever since I've started cooking for myself I have avoided pork like the plague.  Unless it's carnitas or pulled pork, I'm just not interested.  However, this one time I decided to pay homage to my dad's tastebuds and tried a bit more sophisticated version of his favorite dish.

Herb-Crusted Pork Loin and Roasted Apples

Serving Size: 2 Servings

Ingredients:

2 Pork Loin filets
2 medium Apples, sliced thin
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp of Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp + 1/2 Tbsp of Cinnamon
2 tsp of Cumin
1/2 tsp of Cayenne
1 tsp Cilantro
1/2 tsp of Thyme
1 - 2 Tbsp of Fresh Parsley
1 cup of Walnuts
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1/2 of a small Onion, chopped
1 Tbsp of Oil or Butter
1 large Egg
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Lay apple slices on the bottom of a baking dish drizzle with oil and top with lemon juice, 1 Tbsp of Brown Sugar and 1 Tbsp of Cinnamon

Heat oil or butter over medium high heat and saute onions and garlic until soft and aromatic.

In a food processor or blender pulse the walnuts until fine.  Combine with onions, garlic, and parsley.  Pulse until mixed up.

On a plate combine all of the spices and rub into meat.  Brown the pork loin in the pan until just golden.  Dip in egg and cover with walnut crust.

Place on top of apples and bake until 160 degrees.  About 20 mins.





No comments:

Post a Comment